NameNine Months Zero (Negen Maanden Niet)
The intervention is an online computer tailored intervention aimed to reduce alcohol use during pregnancy. This intervention is for pregnant women using alcohol. Participants fill in a baseline questionnaire and two follow-up questionnaires 6 weeks and 3 months after baseline. After each questionnaire, they receive tailored advice.Participants are recruited through gynaecologists and midwives or directed through pregnancy and alcohol related websites.
- Education/public health/research institution
The main aim is that pregnant women who drink alcohol, stop drinking.
Main objectives are:
- to increase knowledge of harmful effects of alcohol use during pregnancy,
- better understanding that advantages of not drinking are more important than the disadvantages,
- better skills in dealing with absence of social support to abstain from alcohol during pregnancy,
- to help making plans to achieve alcohol abstinence during pregnancy.
- Target group(s)
- Intermediate target group
- Health insurance
The intervention is based on the I-Change Model (De Vries, et al., 2003). This model has been applied within several previous health promotion studies.
Elements Of Plan
- Literature review and/or formative research
- Needs assessment
- Detailed plan of action
- Financial plan
- Human resource management plan
- Time schedule
- Partners' agreement
- Communication plan
- Evaluation plan
- Pregnant women
- Social media
- Meetings/conferences with experts/colleagues
- Direct communication
- Scientific publications
Presentations for gynaecologists and midwives to promote the intervention.
- Team meetings
Nine Months Zero proved to be effective. 78 % of the participating pregnant women stopped drinking after fulfilling the intervention, compared to 45 % of the women who were only consulted by the regular health care professionals. The intervention is recommended as an attractive intervention for pregnant women using alcohol.
Contact person: Wim van Dalen
Organization: Dutch Institute for Alcohol Policy STAP
Address: PO Box 9769, 3506 GT Utrecht
Telephone number: + 31 30 6565 041E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org